Friday, March 11, 2011

Life as I know it

This morning I woke up with the regular concerns, worries, and drama. Tonight I go to bed with no worries, no concerns, and no drama. I did not realize how egocentric I had been until sometime around lunchtime, when I checked the web and saw the devastation unfolding halfway across the world. What was really difficult was how instantaneous the information arrived. Photos were posted within minutes and hours of the tragedy. Watching a wave envelope a tall building is not something my small mind can comprehend. But that building contained homes and lives of many people. I sit in my comfortable home, just arriving home after shopping leisurely at SAM's, Walmart, and AC Moore. My refrigerators are full, my children are (somewhat) healthy, we are secure.

But are we? We live in the infamous "Hurricane Alley" where in any given year several Category 3, 4 or 5 hurricanes can hit with careless abandon, destroying and throwing everything out of its way to reach its final destination of destruction.

The saddest part about Japan, which my husband pointed out, was that there were no churches in any of the photos. I can't even imagine a place where people have not been given the Water of Life to soothe their souls. At least in Hurricane Alley, I know there are churches that teach the Bible plain and simple and the Gospel is given freely. So, yes, I am secure. Secure in Christ. Secure in knowing that no matter what happens, He is taking care of me. And my husband. And my children. The future of my house is not secure, nor the future of my husband's job. But our security in Heaven is secure. And our children old enough to understand the precious Gospel are secure, as well our babies who do not understand. Therefore no matter what happens here, I am secure.

So, my life is grass. As can seen from Japan, one day they are there, the next, they are not.

Isaiah 40:7: The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: because the spirit of the LORD bloweth upon it: surely the people is grass.

No comments:

Post a Comment